Invoice Line Items are available as an option for all invoices/bills processed by AutoEntry. A full extraction will be made of the item description and individual item price and net/tax/total where available. For QuickBooks Online users, line item extraction can be used for stock/inventory control within QBO as the category selection is replaced by product/services.
New Feature Added:
- Descriptions can now also be remembered and you can even set rules that particular descriptions or even key words in a description can have automatic category/product/tax codes applied and even tracking categories if in use! See here for full details.
For Purchase and Sales Invoices, Line Items can be turned on in two ways:
- At a company level, for all invoices processed for that company, you can find the option under Company Settings. Simply check the box for the option to be enabled.
- At point of Upload. You can select Line Item extraction for the invoices you are about to upload in the upload window itself. Line items will only be extracted for that upload and will turn off again for the next upload.
For Purchase Invoices, there is also a third way to request Line Item extraction at the supplier-to-supplier basis within the Suppliers List in the Manage Lists.
You can also add Line Items manually by using the 'Add Line Items' button when viewing an invoice near the bottom of the page:
When Line Items are turned on the description for each line is used for that item ignoring the Description field in the Invoice header. Individual category and tax codes can be applied which are remembered per vat rate ignoring the defaults in the Invoice header. Separate cost centers (region/tracking codes) can be applied also depending on your accounts software (some don't allow it).
The Line Item field can be expanded by clicking on the icon to the right. Line items can be deleted using the blue 'x' to the right.
Additional line items can be added by clicking '+Add New Line Item'
Once Line Items are present, either added manually or by AutoEntry, a summary is available to ensure that the line item totals match the invoice totals also:
Limitations to Line Item Extraction
Line item extraction will not capture the product quantity in a small number of cases:
- Unit quantity with decimal places
- Unit price with more than 2 decimal places
- Discounts in line per line item
In these rare cases the unit quantity will default to 1 and the line totals will reflect the totals for the line with no per item cost.
AutoEntry cannot also account for multiple units or 'cases' (e.g: 1 case of 24 units). This will be extracted as one unit.